Quebec artists honoured at the Barcelona La Merce Festival
Cirque Éloize (Crédit obligatoire/Mandatory Credit ©2010 Theatre T&cie Valérie Remise)
For over 100 years, the Barcelona La Merce Festival has been a major event in Europe. This year, the City of Montreal is the guest of honour at this festival, which runs from September 21 to 24 and draws more than 2 million participants and tourists.
Magnificent show on the façade of the Sagrada Familia
One of the high points of Québec’s presence will be the multimedia show designed by the artists of the Moment Factory and based on the original idea from Renaud-Architecture d’événements, which will be projected on Barcelona's famous basilica. Entitled Montréal signe Ode à la vie and inspired by the work of architect Antonia Gaudi, this event will illuminate the façade of the Sagrada Familia for three nights, a first for the true architectural treasure that is Catalonia’s capital city.
Many other Québec-produced activities and shows are also on the program, including:
- a Cirque Éloize special creation featuring the Cyr wheel, the Russian bar and the aerial hoop
- an electronic music show by Piknic Electronik, at the Gardens Joan Bross, on the Montjuïc
- a performance by the group Le Vent du Nord, which includes original compositions as well as numbers from the traditional Quebec repertoire
- the 3rd Mostra du Cinéma del Québec in collaboration with the Filmoteca de Catalunya and SODEC. Eight feature-length films and eight short films will be screened, including Bestiaire by Denis Côté; Camion by Rafaël Ouellet; Inni by Vincent Morisset; Marécages by Guy Édoin and Pour l’amour de Dieu by Micheline Lanctôt.
- L’École d’été des cités interculturelles, at which Montreal will present, among other things, its intercultural mediation practices.
Plus, on the occasion of La Merce, Montreal festival and event representatives will be in Barcelona to talk to local organizers and pave the way for the development of new collaborative projects. Companies such as Spectra (Montreal International Jazz Festival, Montreal Francofolies Festival, Montreal Highlights Festival), Montréal complètement cirque, Festival Just For Laughs, M For Montreal, Zoofest, the Elektra Festival and MEG Mtl will all be in attendance.
It should be noted that relations between Québec and Catalonia are the result of a mutual and manifest interest that has never waned over the last few decades. Its strategic position in Europe and its economic, technological, cultural and tourism leadership make Catalonia an important partner in developing exports and promoting Québec culture and expertise.
Marjolaine Ricard, Director of the Québec Government Office in Barcelona; and Helen Fotopulos, responsible for culture in the City of Montreal.
Québec Government Office in Barcelona
Montreal, foreign city invited to La Merce (in French)
3e Mostra du Cinéma del Québec (in Catalan)