Three Quebecers named finalists of the Prix des cinq continents de la Francophonie
Three Quebec novels are among the 10 finalists of the Prix des cinq continents de la Francophonie. They are Anima by Wajdi Mouawad (Actes Sud), La fiancée américaine by Éric Dupont (Marchand de feuilles) and Retour d’Outre-mer by Julia Pawlowicz (Tryptique).
The ten works in contention for the prize are:
- La fiancée américaine by Eric Dupont (Québec), published by Éditions Marchand de feuilles
- Anima by Wajdi Mouawad (Lebanon/Québec), published by Éditions Actes Sud
- Retour d’Outre-mer by Julia Pawlowicz Poland/Québec), published by Éditions Triptyque
- Dans l’ombre de la lumière by Claude Pujade Renaud (France), published by Éditions Actes Sud
- Sombre dimanche by Alice Zeniter (France), published by Éditions Albin Michel
- Ils désertent by Thierry Beinstingel (France), published by Éditions Fayard
- Un écrivain, un vrai by Pia Petersen (Denmark/France), published by Éditions Actes Sud
- 39 rue de Berne by Max Lobe (Cameroon), published by Éditions Zoe
- Made in Mauritius by Amal Sewtohul (Mauritius), published by Éditions Gallimard
- Le terroriste noir by Tierno Monenembo (Guinea), published by Éditions du Seuil
The jury is presided by Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio (Mauritius) and has ten members, including Lise Bissonnette, former CEO of the Grande Bibliothèque du Québec.
The jury will name the winner on September 26 in Paris and officially present the prize in Haiti in October. The International Organization of La Francophonie will promote the winner in the literary scene until the next winner is named.
Prix des cinq continents
Created in 2001 by the International Organization of La Francophonie, the Prix des cinq continents de la Francophonie is awarded to an author who writes a novel about a specific cultural experience that enriches the French language.
In 2011, Québec author Jocelyne Saucier won the Prix des cinq continents for her book entitled Il pleuvait des oiseaux (Éditions XYZ).
Québec and La Francophonie
Since the advent of the intergovernmental organization of French-speaking nations in 1970, Québec has seized the opportunity provided by its government status to actively participate in all assemblies of La Francophonie, including summits, ministerial conferences, permanent councils and four commissions.
Wajdi Mouawad (in French)
Éric Dupont (in French)
Julia Pawlowicz (in French)
Collectif d'écrivains de Lanaudière (in French)
Prix des cinq continents (in French)