Québec and solidarity
Solidarity is a priority in Québec’s international initiatives. Its actions in this area are consistent with the 2030 Agenda For Sustainable Development adopted by the United Nations in September 2015, and allow Québec to act effectively in response to global issues such as human rights, sustainable development, gender equality and inclusive growth. Québec’s international solidarity initiatives are focused primarily in two regions: the Francophonie and Latin America/West Indies, particularly Haiti.
Supporting civil society organizations
The Government of Québec recognizes the contributions of civil society organizations to socio-economic development, the exercise of citizenship and the forging of fair and solidary relationships between peoples. It teams up with international cooperation organizations (ICOs) that possess expertise and a network of partners in developing countries to do outreach work with local communities.
The Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie coordinates three programs:
- Development projects
- Projects introducing youth to international solidarity internships
- Global citizenship educational activities
Since 1997, the Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie
- has been collaborating with over one hundred international cooperation organizations
- has provided financial support for more than 650 international development projects
- has been present in over 50 countries throughout the world.
Sharing public service expertise
Québec's solidarity commitment is likewise carried out by sharing the know-how of its public institutions with developing countries. In doing so, Québec collaborates in the capacity building of its partners and their communities. The Haitian Governance Enhancement Project (PARGEP) is clear example of how Québec can significantly contribute to international solidarity efforts.
Québec also has other tools for sharing its public service expertise, including support for international students through tuition waivers. For more information, please refer to the Exemptions Granted by Virtue of Cooperation Agreements on the website of the Ministère de l'Éducation, des Loisirs et du Sport du Québec.
The Government of Québec is a member of the International Organization of La Francophonie and actively participates in initiatives by Francophonie organizations in a variety of areas such as:
- education and culture
- the French language
- sustainable development.
Over 10 million dollars per year are allocated to international solidarity activities in developing countries that are members of La Francophonie.
Québec provides various forms of assistance to developing countries during humanitarian disasters.
- In collaboration with the Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie, the Civil Security Disaster Committee is mandated to coordinate the Québec government's action in the event of humanitarian disasters in affected countries by making experts and equipment available.
This type of response was especially needed in the aftermath of the January, 2010 earthquake in Haiti.
- As part of the Québec International Development Program, the Government of Québec supports emergency aid responses headed by Québec international cooperation organizations in the most vulnerable countries, primarily those in Francophone Africa, Latin America and the Antilles.
In recent years
The Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie has, for example, provided support for emergency initiatives in the following countries and regions:
- Democratic Republic of Congo, 2013: humanitarian assistance to families that were victims of clashes in North Kivu
- West Africa, 2014: assistance to fight the Ebola epidemic
- Lebanon, 2015: emergency response to meet the needs of vulnerable persons fleeing the conflict in Syria
- Haiti, 2016: assistance for people affected by Hurricane Matthew, which caused extensive damage
To contact us
Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie
525 René-Lévesque Blvd. East
Québec (Québec) G1R 5R9
Phone: 418 649-2341
Fax: 418 649-2664
Last update: 2019-04-18 10:11:35 AM